Saturday, July 10, 2010

7.7.10

In my attempt to focus, I spent the day reading about Marx’s theory of Alienation and related papers. By the end of it I decided I would not be looking at this aspect of it. I went to Mr. Ravindra thinking I had made it more focused by chucking ‘social alienation’. My project wasn’t about workers being machines, it was about urban Indians.

Talk with Mr. Ravindra

-There is a history to alienation. In the history of India there is the down side to having great diversity and a rich culture. Over time, there have been masses of rules and codes of conduct developed, made by groups to protect their own interests. This makes power hereditary (history of past family behaviour/belonging affects current). New laws made in an attempt to give minorities more power, so now it may be appointed or acquired.

I will be looking at current urban behaviour, but it is all so interlinked, the social, political, caste, migration and the segregation that was openly seen in the interactions of the past are now more subtle. A graphic example from the past: tying a broom to the back of someone from a lower caste, so that their footsteps are wiped away(making the person invisible).
How has this traveled to the present?

I am to speak with the in-house sociologists/ anthropologists/ theatre people: Vandana, Jyotsana, Kalpana, Deepak

No comments: