Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Scripting, preliminary

About content
The animation is exploring the notion of ‘self’ and the ‘other’, using ‘alien’ as a metaphor.
(Alien= unknown/ other/ outside/ different)
Points
-Personal (me)
My perception of myself changes based on other’s perception of me. (Lacan and sense of belonging)
-Idea (E.T)
Our idea of an alien (E.T) is a projection of the alien within, and not as alien as we would like to believe. “We are not the same inside and outside.”
Script Idea (Interactive) Generate your own alien based on your definition of one; what alien are you?
-Anthropological (‘Alien’)
The term alien has multiple references which changes with the context it is used in. Based on issues in society: Social alienation (poor/workers), Political alienation (based on country/place of origin/ language), Minorities (based on sexual differences, religion, and beliefs), Social hierarchy and the caste systems, People with disabilities, People across generations
Script Idea
I have a series of audio responses, with adjectives and description of what an alien looks like and how it behaves. These are mainly kids talking about the alien from outer space (but some also referred to disabled people as aliens). I will use the same words to communicate different things based on the context of the visual I put accompanying it. For example, ‘Aliens speak a different language’, would be applicable for people from another country (political alienation), for people with disabilities, as well as for people across generations (generation gap). Some can go into more details, with bits of interviews with people from Sangama (human rights org for sexual minorities) or with disabilities talking about being excluded/ being different.

How do I say this in 2 minutes? Do I have to choose between them or can I say everything successfully?
Koshy said why 2 minutes, I could make it 20, which would mean I would have to include video maybe. As of now, I'll stick to writing a story and see how long it needs to be.

Bits from 'The Fundamentals of Animation'.
According to the animation process and my timeline, I must have the following by the end of the week > story > preparatory visualization > formal design > storyboard > script > vocal performance/initial soundtrack > animatic

No comments: